Several Food Groups in a Cookie
There isn’t many things better than eating something totally delicious and it being healthy, right? So, I once decided to make the an ultimate, healthy cookie.
Sweet Potato Cookies
My friends told me that sweet potato cookies sounded disgusting. But, I convinced them to try them and they ended up just not believing that theses were not only healthy, but had sweet potatoes in them.
- 1 1/2 sticks room temperature butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg (or two egg whites or 1/4 cup thoroughly blended silken tofu)
- 1 cup mashed sweet potato insides (cooked at 400° for 45 minutes – prior to mashing)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour (you may make this whole wheat if you really like baked goods with it)
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 cup oats
- [optional] 1 cup raisins, nuts, and/or chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350° F. Mix together butter, sugar, egg and sweet potato. Sift in flours, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Sift in oats and optional add-ins. Drop by 2 tablespoonful cookie dough balls on a baking pan and press down lightly. Bake 8-10 minutes.
It may be somewhat of a typical recipe – besides the sweet potato – but it’s pretty good for you.
Do you use whole grain bread products? Yes
Which do you prefer, white or whole grain? I’m actually pretty lucky to prefer the whole grain over white.
If not white or whole grain, which type of bread is your favorite?